Surviving Morning Sickness

I want to start off this post saying I am so incredibly grateful for the little life growing inside me and I am not complaining about being pregnant in the least. I am so happy to be here. I just wish I felt better. 

I had these notions of being pregnant and just loving every minute of it. Just the idea of having a baby growing inside you, being able to feel it move and just sharing that bond sounded so amazing to me. 

and I was like, morning sickness can't be that bad right? you puke for a couple weeks and then life is good again.

Oh boy. 

Here's the thing about morning sickness, at least for me, there isn't a whole lot of puking. I've only puked twice (three times if you count the ginger-ale the other day but I'm trying not to) but I certainly feel like I'm going to pretty much 24/7. I literally gag every few minutes all day long. 

For the first 8 weeks of my pregnancy I felt a little queasy and a little off but mostly hungry and tired. This week it's a fight to get food in me. cos nothing feels good at all. When you have the flu you take a couple days off eating, you get some reprieve when you throw up or go to the bathroom and you feel better. With morning sickness, there's a whole lot of feeling sick and not a whole lot of feeling okay. 

I'm sitting at work for the first time this week, on Friday, sipping a smoothie incredibly slowly. The thing is, while I don't want to eat, I have to. For me and for Baby H. The worst part is, food that sounded amazingly good yesterday, sounds awful today and it's just a mess of figuring out what I can eat that won't make things worse. 

Please note, if one more person tells me to eat frequent, small meals I might kick them. 

Here is my guideline to surviving morning sickness:
  • Don't be a hero. If you need to stay home and lay on the couch for a day or four, do it. (it also helps that my boss knows I'm pregnant and was very sick in her pregnancies, she's been pretty understanding and actually encouraged me to take the time I need to feel better)
  • If it sounds gross don't eat it.
  • If it makes you feel queasy stop eating it. 
  • Avoid public transit. 
  • Take frequent naps - the only time I feel good is right after a nap I swear. 
  • Eat as much and as often as you can but don't push it too hard (you'll regret it)
  • Even ginger-ale can make you feel sick and that is just rude
  • At the very least, keep up your fluid intake. Lots of water, popsicles, jello and ginger-ale (if you can stomach it) 
  • Keep the fluids super cold, ice cold things seem to be easier on the stomach.
  • Go with the cravings, they usually tell you what food won't make you feel awful. 
  • Baths are surprisingly comforting. 
  • Anyone who tells you to just eat "bland" food is lying. I vote for foods that are easy to throw up, re: water, popsicles, jello and ginger-ale. (sour popsicles though, sweet ones just make everything worse)
What do you guys recommend for morning sickness? I'm just hoping I'll be one of the lucky few that feel better once we hit trimester 2....

I did finally come in to work today and I found this super sweet gift at my desk from a co-worker! 



 photo signature_zpsd186112a.png

3 comments:

  1. Oh boo I'm sorry you feel so crappy! Why can't someone who struggled to get pregnant be rewarded with an easy pregnancy? I have no pointers except this one - my sister sipped ice water every time she started to feel sick and much to her surprise is actually helped. I know you mentioned cold fluids up there so you may already do this...but it was the only thing that helped her and she puked from the day she implanted to the day she gave birth - for both pregnancies. Actually my other sister did too...maybe I should reconsider this pregnancy thing...

    Take care and hang in there! I'm sending all kinds of positive vibes and prayers to ease your morning sickness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you feel so crappy!! I hope it ends soon!! Hang in there mama!! Great post though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo to morning sickness! You should ask your doctor for Diclectin. It's super safe and helped me a ton! You can't be away from work for your ENTIRE pregnancy right? Good on you for figuring out what works!!

    ReplyDelete

Steve & Christy

Steve & Christy

Eleanor Lillian

Eleanor Lillian
After 5 long years of infertility our little peanut is here!

The Fuzzy Trio

The Fuzzy Trio
Devastator, Harley Quinn & Isis

Social Media

Powered by Blogger.

Featured Post Via Labels

Instagram Photo Gallery