Tulle Pom Pom Mobile



You can find the tutorial I followed here!

Here is the mobile that matches our crib bedding. It retails for $49.99 (and it is super cute, don't get me wrong!) 



I did want to make a mobile. I wanted something a little different. I originally thought about knitting one but it would have been a lot of work. I looked around on Etsy, which is where I originally found the tulle mobiles, and I really liked the look of them. On Etsy, the tulle pompom mobiles retail for around: $50-100+

$50 - Link 
$100 - Link
Convinced I could make my own Steve and I went to Michaels with a 30% coupon to pick up everything we needed: (price includes the 30% off)
  • Embroidery Hoop: $5
  • Pink Tulle: $4
  • White Tulle: $4 for the first one, $3.50 for the second
  • Thin White Ribbon: $0.40
  • Thick Ruffled Pink Ribbon $3
  • Stars $4
  • Silver Paint: $1.50

Total: $25.50

(I am not including the cost of the brushes ($4), glue gun ($6) and glue ($1) because I have plenty to use again)

All my supplies! Minus white tulle #2
Steve put holes in the stars for me :D 

Empty applesauce containers are my new fave paint holders

I painted the stars and the embroidery hoop the same colour

The "pom pom maker" from the tutorial works exactly the same as the plastic yarn pom pom maker I have so it wasn't a new concept to me. It's actually really easy too! 

First pom pom, pretrim.
Apparently I was so excited to be done at this stage that I stopped taking pictures. I made four pom poms total, two pink and two sparkly white. Once the embroidery hoop was dry I put the two sides together and started to slip the strings in between til I was happy with the length. I was going to use ribbon for the stars too but I didn't like it as much so I hung the stars with see-through thread. Steve picked having the fourth star right in the middle of the hoop! If I would have had all the tulle the first day I would have been able to finish it that day.

Once I was happy with all the lengths of everything I used the glue gun to glue everything into it's spot. Last step was putting the thick pink ribbon around the edge of the embroidery hoop. I looked for something thinner but this was my favourite one and I think it looks pretty nice now that it's all done. I was going to make a bow to cover the hardware from the hoop but it looked kinda silly so I just cut a hole out so that the ribbon goes all the way around. 



 photo signature_zpsd186112a.png

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Good job! They are so cheap to make and SO $$$ on etsy or whatever. Crazy! LOVE how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Steve & Christy

Steve & Christy

Eleanor Lillian

Eleanor Lillian
After 5 long years of infertility our little peanut is here!

The Fuzzy Trio

The Fuzzy Trio
Devastator, Harley Quinn & Isis

Social Media

Powered by Blogger.

Featured Post Via Labels

Instagram Photo Gallery