A Small Baby

We had an ultrasound on Thursday and our little Ellie has dropped off her growth pattern. At our 28 week scan she was 2lbs and 4oz, putting her in the 50th percentile and at our 32 week scan she was 2lbs and 13oz, putting her in the 10th. She gained about 9oz, which is really about 1/4 to 1/3 of what we had hoped she had gained.

Gestational Diabetes and my unicornuate uterus put us at a higher risk for a small baby and more specifically Interuterine Growth Restriction (IUGR). Typically GD babies are at risk of being larger but in some cases GD can lead to IGUR. 

MFM has asked us to come back next week to see how much weight she gains over a week. My OB didn't seem overly stressed out about it but did say if she stays on this growth pattern or higher we're okay to leave her until our 39 c-section. If her growth slows down again we will likely look at delivering her around week 34 due to placenta failure. 

We knew going into this with my uterus that we had a risk of pre-term delivery, small baby and breech. I'm really fine with the c-section (I could care less how she's born as long as she's healthy) but it makes me nervous knowing she's so little and might need to be delivered early. Part of me worries this is my fault, maybe the GD diet isn't giving either of us enough or the fact that I can't keep any food down. 

I'm really hoping she is at least 3lbs at our scan on Wednesday. I wouldn't mind if she was born in September but maybe not the first two weeks? 

 photo signature_zpsd186112a.png

4 comments:

  1. Grow baby grow!! I'm glad they are keeping a close eye on her and you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope she has grown lots this week! Get eating some fatty stuff! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came here from the CNN article in April -- my friend just linked to it. I had high risk pregnancies as well, although with a different backstory. I said over and over during my pregnancies that I didn't care how my babies got here, so long as they were healthy. It's so hard not to blame ourselves for challenges we face in pregnancy.

    But you're working so hard to get Ellie here at the right time and healthy. That's something to be proud of. You're a great mom already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Christy. I can imagine how scary that could be. Don't blame yourself. I will keep praying for baby Ellie and for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Steve & Christy

Steve & Christy

Eleanor Lillian

Eleanor Lillian
After 5 long years of infertility our little peanut is here!

The Fuzzy Trio

The Fuzzy Trio
Devastator, Harley Quinn & Isis

Social Media

Powered by Blogger.

Featured Post Via Labels

Instagram Photo Gallery