Baby Names


Before Steve and I started dating I actually had a dream where we had three kids and lived in a gorgeous house. I can't remember the names of our kids now but I'm pretty sure there was an Aubrey and a Wyatt. Yuck, what was dream me thinking? (I should have a quick aside, we worked with a guy named Wyatt not long after and he was a giant creep so the name has a bad association for me).

I always wanted to be a mom. I picked accounting as a career cos I felt like it would offer me a stable job to help support our family. So it should be no surprise that I had babies on the brain even before we were married. We had names picked. I actually think Aubrey stuck around for a while and my favourite boy name was Leighton. 

Steve has always humoured me in my insanity and baby craving ways and we would talk about names a lot. My dad's mom passed away when he was younger and her name was Dorothy Lillian so Lillian has always stuck out as a possible name or middle name in my mind (we've transitioned to middle name because we know a lot of baby Lily's these days!). For a boy middle name Steve wanted to use his middle name (Patrick) because he likes the whole "_______ Patrick Harris" (I wish we could have met Neil Patrick Harris when he came to the comic expo but he was only here Friday night).

So that leaves us with Aubrey Lillian and Leighton Patrick. Nice names, right?

NO. 

I'm kidding, they are nice names but literally the day my test came back positive I changed my mind! Aubrey has become way too popular (especially after Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant had like 10 of them). So we scrapped Aubrey. And then Leighton. I love love love the name Leighton but I don't like that the short form is pronounced Lee. It just doesn't feel right to me. So we scraped Leighton. Plus technically, I don't know how my potential son would feel about being named after Leighton Meester. He might think I was insane (if you ever want to hear how my dad picked my name... ahah let me know).

And just like that, after 5 years of TTC with names planned out... Baby H was nameless.

So we started from scratch. What names did we like? What names did we hate? We picked a couple names and then cut them a week later. And then we picked a couple more and cut them a week later. I think right now we're pretty set on a girl's name (and have been for almost two months so I think it's sticking) and a tentative boy name (working on the logistics) but we're keeping Lillian and Patrick as our middle names.

The funny thing is, we picked the short nicknames we liked and worked our way back to pick first names. Partly why we're still working out the boy name (I might just convince Steve to just go with the nickname) but once we know what baby is in three weeks it'll be easier! 

 photo signature_zpsd186112a.png

2 comments:

  1. I love the name Aubrey and Leighton is one of my favorite names, spelled differently but for a girl. I still come J comes around to it! I like Wyatt too but knowing someone with a name ruins it for sure. Can't wait to hear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did your dad pick your name? (now I'm curious!)

    ReplyDelete

Steve & Christy

Steve & Christy

Eleanor Lillian

Eleanor Lillian
After 5 long years of infertility our little peanut is here!

The Fuzzy Trio

The Fuzzy Trio
Devastator, Harley Quinn & Isis

Social Media

Powered by Blogger.

Featured Post Via Labels

Instagram Photo Gallery