I'm 26 years old and I shouldn't be burying my friends. It sounds and maybe it feels a little dramatic to say but it's the truth. I'm only 26. I'm barely an adult, I'm barely out of college. I'm just starting to think about mortgages and RRSPs and mutual funds (whatever those are...). I shouldn't be burying my friend.
Lawrence would have been 28 last week. Steve was older than that when we got married. Like it's so freaking stupid to me that Lawrence was only 28. His last post on Facebook is literally "Last paper of the semester... FINISH YOURSELF!!" He had one final exam left before he'd have his degree. One. I have one class left, come November I'll be walking into my last final exam. I'll be 27. Just like he was. It's a sobering reality.
I can remember maybe 4 or 5 years ago Lawrence was taking engineering and he wasn't sure if it was for him. I can remember middle of the night phone calls about what he was going to do with his life and what should he do. He eventually switched to Urban Studies. I remember he was the one I went to when I was trying to pick between accounting and finance (maybe if I had gone that route I'd know what a mutual fund is) and he told me be smart, be an accountant. And here I am. One class away (and some work experience) away from being an accountant. This conversation, however small, however arbitrary it seemed at the time seems monumental now. It was a decision that has and will affect the majority of my adult life.
"I think accounting, cos it's more of a guarantee."
I'd completely forgotten about the conversation until I started looking up the last things we'd talked about.
Lawrence may have left a legacy for the city of Calgary through transit and through Bike Calgary and cycle tracks but he left a legacy on every one who he touched too. Through something as simple as "I think accounting."
I'm just sad. I miss you, Lawrence. Thank you.
0 comments:
Post a Comment