Trying to Conceive: the Waiting Game

I had to go for an X-Ray this weekend and when I told the lady I might be pregnant (I doubt it) we agreed it would be best for me to go back next week just in case. Because when she asked my honest answer was, "I don't know."

And, I feel like this is something that deserves a rant every now and then.

I am one of those lucky PCOS-ers who ovulates (and regularly lately! *knocks on wood*) so I have spent my fair share of time hanging out in this fabulous limbo know as TWW. 

I have a terrible habit of calling this the Two Week Window but it's actually the Two Week Wait and for anyone who isn't up on the lingo it's the 10-14 day period between ovulating and your cycle ending (either with a positive pregnancy test or that other fun stuff) or for your sciencey types who like technical terms - it's the luteal phase of your cycle.

One of the biggest things that happens during the TWW is your hormones switch from being estrogen dominant (pre-ovulation) to progesterone dominant (post-ovulation). 

Progesterone is also the dominant hormone for early pregnancy (and potentially all pregnancy?? I haven't been pregnant in a very long time so my research is kinda focused on TTC) which is why in the TWW, on top of the joy of not knowing what on earth is happening down there, many women experience pregnancy symptoms even if you aren't pregnant. It's a hormone thing. 

So really, you start out your cycle going come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn ovulation and then you ovulate and then you have 10-14 days (potentially longer) of absolutely NO IDEA what is GOING ON. And if that isn't fun enough you also get to experience cramps, nausea, back pain and sore boobs and a whole host of other things, everyone is different.

I fully believe that women who are TTC are way more sensitive to these symptoms because in a way we are looking for them. We want something that screams HEY YOU ARE TOTALLY PREGNANT when in reality we get WELL IT'S POSSIBLE??!?!????!? I mean it's not like your pinkie finger turns blue or anything (which would be nice?)

And I can't even describe the amount of squinting that you do over the course of those two weeks...

Two weeks doesn't sound like a long time but when you are TTC those 10-14 are the longest of your life. They are like the last two weeks of school before summer vacation. 



 photo signature_zpsd186112a.png

2 comments:

  1. You do realize that if we had blue pinkies when we were pregnant, it would develop slowly over the 2WW, so we'd still spend our time obsessing - "Does my pinky look bluer than my ring finger?" "Is that just blood flow issues? Am I cold?" And then we'd post pictures on FF asking for others' opinions and tweaks. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just picture the inverted pictures of people's hands ahaha!!! Oh Fertility Friend is so delightful. It always reminds me that there is someone crazier about this than me, and there is someone who has peed on more money than me :D

      Delete

Steve & Christy

Steve & Christy

Eleanor Lillian

Eleanor Lillian
After 5 long years of infertility our little peanut is here!

The Fuzzy Trio

The Fuzzy Trio
Devastator, Harley Quinn & Isis

Social Media

Powered by Blogger.

Featured Post Via Labels

Instagram Photo Gallery