I've been thinking a lot about adoption lately.
There's this whole do-I-want-a-baby more than do-I-want-to-be-pregnant/have-a-biological-baby? The answer feels like yes. We wants to have kids, we want to have more than one. Would I care if they weren't our biological kids? I don't really think it matters if they aren't, I want to be a mom. And there is more to being a mom than being pregnant or being the biological pregnant.
There are two routes to adoption in Alberta. We can either go private or public. Private adoptions are quicker but can cost around $20,000 in legal/other fees, a little higher if you go internationally to adopt. Public adoptions are essentially free minus a few costs. You have to pay for a social worker to conduct a home visit and few other fees but more or less, free. There is a wait-list for them and typically it takes a year for your profile to make it into the shuffle. We can continue to work with the fertility clinic while on the wait list. The profiles are shown to the bio parents and they choose the adoptive couple. One day you get a phone call, "hey! come pick up your baby!"
It's a lot of waiting, though, a lot of patience.
Steve and I decided that if we aren't pregnant by summer 2015 we are going to start the adoption process because yes, I want to be a mom more than I care about having biological children. If we can still work with the fertility clinic while we wait, why not?
While it's still a little early to call it, our second medicated cycle has been a bust. One more and then we will go in the new year to start looking into IUI in probably February or March. So, we will know by the summer if either of those works.
Such a good idea. So special. XOXO
ReplyDelete