Steve got his license when he was 18 but never really started driving until last year and he didn't start driving regularly until this year when he switched to the 5am start at work and I didn't want to drive him anymore. We bought the Malibu off my dad and got Steve on the insurance and he started driving himself regularly. I would definitely consider Steve to be a new driver and this is his first full Calgary winter.
Yesterday morning started out normal. Steve got up at 4 and went to work. I went back to sleep. Around 4:45 I rolled over to someone bursting through my bedroom door. It was my poor panicked husband who'd hit a curb near our house and in his words "wrecked the car really bad".
I've never prided myself in being really good in a crisis until now. It took me a second to wake up but when I did I got dressed, gave my husband a huge hug and checked him over, and we went to the car. I never yelled or cried or freaked out at him. For one thing, I was just happy he was okay, and for another, I don't think there was anything I could have said that he hadn't already said to himself. Yelling would have really just made it worse.
I went into crisis management mode and I took some pictures, went home, called the insurance company and the police, we went back and met up with the police and today I'm taking the day off to get our car organized off to the shop and get a rental vehicle. I might have reacted differently had I been in the car but really... I'm just happy Steve is okay.
The car can be fixed or replaced. He can't.
0 comments:
Post a Comment