Let's talk about... KITTENS! Introducing Cats and Kittens.
Now truth be told, I am not an expert on kittens or cats, but I do have three and have fostered eightish(? actual number... I'm too lazy to count them.) and I'd like to think I know a thing or two about having kittens/cats and introducing new kittens/cats to a house with other cats!
My best friend just got two new kittens from the SPCA. They are both about the same age, a lil girl (Tally!) and a lil boy (Sammy! Don't you just love the name Sammy for a kitten? I could just die. I love kittens!) and the SPCA told her to keep them separate and have separate things for them. I don't totally agree with this, for kittens, and I will kind of explain why as I go! This post is a little bit for her and for anyone else who isn't sure what to do.
So here's the thing introducing two kittens, a kitten and a cat and two cats are all very different things, and luckily we have experienced them all a few times and had different outcomes!
Two Kittens:
Kittens are really easy to introduce in the grand scheme of cat things. Kittens are typically at their most social before 12 weeks of age and it really cuts back as they get older. Once they hit about two they aren't very social at all. So kittens should be easier really right off the bat.
To introduce your kittens make sure they each have their own separate place to go if things go awry! Pick a room that is big enough that they can have their own space, but not so big that they will be nervous (new huge open spaces can be stressful). Let them out but don't force them together, believe me, they will find each other. And they will hiss!
Here's the thing though, hissing and growling are one of the ways cats communicate. Typically they are saying "Hey, I don't know you but I am big and tough and if you try to attack me I'm gonna win!" because to cats everything new, people/cats/dogs/whatever is a threat until proven otherwise. Kittens usually get past this pretty quick for a lot of reasons. The social thing for one. and because kittens have yet to develop their own scent completely and they are typically non-confrontational.
I usually don't intervene unless I think things are going to end in bloodshed, you have to let them figure their stuff out. But don't force it. If they are clearly in distress, separate them and try again tomorrow. I usually let them out when they can be supervised until I am sure no one will get hurt.
Harley and Devastator were 12 & 16 weeks when we brought Harley home and within a day they were best buds!
| The day after we brought Harley home! We put them together and she climbed onto him and they went to sleep together! |
A Cat and a Kitten:
I really think that at the end of the day a cat can sense the innocence of a kitten. That being said, it doesn't always make it easy! A cat will typically hiss and bop a kitten on the head, this is normal! The cat will be showing the kitten "who's boss" and as long as claws are in, it's okay. Only intervene if you think the cat is going to hurt the kitten or vice versa. Again don't force it.
Kittens are non-confrontational and will typically lie down or walk away if the cat smacks them or hisses. THIS IS GOOD. It means the kitten is showing the cat that it is not a threat. It will take longer for the adult cat to warm up to the kitten but it typically will happen. Especially, for some reason, neutered male cats will really get interested in a kitten, often cuddling and cleaning the kitten. I keep them separated when we aren't home and at night until I am sure no one will get hurt.
When we brought home Isis H&D were about 2. There was some initial hissing but Devastator was all over her pretty quick. It took Harley a few months to warm up to her but they are doing better every day! Harley is a bit of a bully and very against change so it's not unusual for her to take a bit longer to adjust. I even snuck a picture of them cuddling a couple weeks ago. I secretly believe they cuddle all the time and save the drama for when I'm home for attention, but who knows!
| Maybe two days after we brought Isis home? I can't believe how big Devastator is compared to her! He was smaller than that when we brought her home. These two are partners in crime, all the time! |
Two Cats:
Now here is where I will recommend separate everything, at least at first. Cats take a while to warm up to other cats and in the meantime you want to ensure everyone is getting fed, can get to the litterbox and water and generally speaking is happy.
With cats I will keep them separate at night and when we aren't home, and typically I will do this for a couple weeks. Until they seem friendly and have been friendly for about a week.
With cats I will keep them separate at night and when we aren't home, and typically I will do this for a couple weeks. Until they seem friendly and have been friendly for about a week.
Like I said, cats tend to assume other cats are their to hurt them or steal their territory and it can take a little while for them to share this territory. Just give them space, intervene if it's getting hairy and separate them if they are in distress.
Somethings you can do to make it easier:
- Give each of the cats/kittens a blanket to sleep with and switch them back and forth. This will help them adjust to the other cat/kitten's scent.
- Feed them each on one side of a door. Eating is a happy time for cats, this will also help them get to know the other cats scent.
- If you can get them to sleep near each other (or even cuddling) this can help them adjust to the scent. It doesn't always work but if they are sleepy try and get them close!
- I know I said this before but DON'T FORCE THEM. Cat's don't like being forced to do anything, and it likely will stress them out more.
- Be patient, this can take months in some cases.
- They may never love each other, but you can consider tolerating each other a win. As long as they aren't fighting you are in a good place.
- Encourage good behaviour! If you find them cuddling/playing/being in each other presence and they are both happy, give them a treat!
- Use a ball or a string to try and get them to play at the same time, doesn't always work but it helps!
- Make sure they all get special cuddle time, cats can get jealous if they feel like they aren't getting attention.
- Make sure they have a place they can go if they need time apart, don't lock them together. You wouldn't like being locked in a room with someone 24/7 without being able to walk away!
- I will post more if I think of them!










0 comments:
Post a Comment